As the year 2013 comes to a close, I see a lot of posts in my facebook timeline of friends highlighting their 2013. Most have this year as their best yet while a few had some challenges and can’t wait to meet 2014. Personally, this year has been the roughest, toughest and darkest for me.
It started out peacefully and although met with some challenges, I believed that we were overcoming the issues. Or so I thought. Towards the middle of the year, the little bumps became more frequent and slowly became harder and harder. Until it all blew in my face. To say that I was blindsided is an understatement.
It was like being on the edge of the cliff with gravity instantly pulling me in. It was like falling into a deep darkness where no help came. It was like a huge part of me died. And the saddest part is knowing that it will never live again.
Despite everything that has happened though, I’m still thankful to be alive. I had a lot of lessons learned as I tried to move forward. And as I welcome 2014, I would like to share some of the things I learned this year:
1. Not everyone who smiles at you is a friend.
Even if you meet people who you think are friends, there are those who will betray you. As it turns out, no amount of kindness can prevent someone from taking the most important thing in your life from you.
2. No matter how honestly you live your life, there are really others who are not. And some are much closer to home than you think.
3. It’s true that there are people who have lost their values and have a twisted belief of self-righteousness.
As the saying goes, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” You would think that people who grew up in good families and went to the best schools will grow up to be responsible and honest adults. But there are really those who only think about themselves and their happiness even if they will throw all decency and morals out the window. No amount of training or curriculum can ever prepare you for it.
4. Life is not fair. And Shit Happens.
5. At the end of the day, your family and true friends will stand by you, push you to move forward and make you realize that life does not end when you lost love.
I am one of those who can’t wait for 2014. I look forward to a better year and hopes that peace will finally make its way to my life. If not, I can always refer back to #5. So 2014, bring it on!